Monday 27 June 2011

25 June: School of Hope

People call it school for children with special needs. But I prefer to call this "School of Hope". School which gives hope to hundreds of children in their life.

We started really very early to visit Niger state to visit the school for children with special needs. We had to leave hotel at 6 am. Still not fully awake had cofee and packed food for the day and boarded the bus. After 3 hours of ride we reached the destination. There  is only such a schoolin Nigeria.

In the school everything seems very normal with very little resource. They were communicating and smiling running , playing football.  Principal gave an official welcome speech, which was translated in sign language by a teacher. After speech everyone clapped. It was different clap. They all raised their hand and shake their palm and finger sidewise. I learnt this thing from the school.

Then we started talking to differnt people. Normally We used to write or use some sign to make them understand. I must say kids were more smarter in making me understand what they wanted to say. I must thank to Justin Fletcher and his program  Something Special on CBeebies, which was really handy here.
They played a small drama (Skit kind of ) named " Ability in Disability", so true. I now really understand the meaning of the saying after seeing all kids performing dance, playing very good football, and doing evrything by their own.  


That was amazing to see hopes on these kids. Everyone here was full of hope and ready to take any stride in the future. Suddenly I caught the glimps of this little girl. Whose eyes were so bright and and full of expressions, I couldn't resist to take a snap. I wish I had better camera.


1 comment:

  1. I am searching for my African roots, i did the DNA test for the search now i am comparing tribes to see who i look more like. I love alot like this little gire. we almost look like twins
    can you tell me what tribe she is from I am not too concerned about what country but that would be nice to know also.
    jamila Malluf
    jamila@malluf.com

    ReplyDelete